Monday, April 16, 2012

Author Interview with Kate Evangelista


Author Bio:
When Kate Evangelista was told she had a knack for writing stories, she did the next best thing: entered medical school. After realizing she wasn't going to be the next Doogie Howser, M.D., Kate wandered into the Literature department of her university and never looked back. Today, she is in possession of a piece of paper that says to the world she owns a Literature degree. To make matters worse, she took Master's courses in creative writing. In the end, she realized to be a writer, none of what she had mattered. What really mattered? Writing. Plain and simple, honest to God, sitting in front of her computer, writing. Today, she has four completed Young Adult novels.

Kate's Interview:

1. In your opinion, what is the hardest part of being an author? What do you love about it?

The hardest part of being an author is all the waiting you'd have to do. You wait while you send out your novel to your critique partners. You wait when you query agents or submit to publishers. You wait to sign contracts. You wait for the release. Lots and lots of waiting. And usually, when your patience isn't up to the wait, it's when you break.

What I love about being an author most is the editing process. I know, it sounds crazy, right? But I find that it's through the editing process where I really get to shape the novel to what it really should be. In the years I've been reading and rereading Taste, it only started sounding like a real novel to me by the third pass edits with my editor. Don't get me wrong, editing is also one of the hardest parts of being an author, but for me, it's certainly what I love the most about it.

2. What inspired you to begin writing for teens?

I love the teenage years. There's so much magic to be discovered. So many firsts to be experienced. At the same time, I couldn't argue with the fact that the age group of the characters in my head are mostly in their teens. At least, the loudest ones are. :-P

3. How was the novel able to develop, throughout the span of the various drafts of "Taste?"

Oh, Taste went through so many drafts. I actually started writing it three years ago. You can just imagine all the waiting that had to take place during that time. There were moments when I was playing around with the love interests. Who would end up together. But the progression of the story, the plot, hardly changed as the novel evolved through the years.

4. When you're having a case of writer's block, what do you do?

I don't usually get writer's block because I don't overwork myself when writing. After I finish writing one chapter, I call it a day so I can start thinking about what happens next for the next day. But if I do find myself stuck, I take a walk and work the scene over and over in my head until the answer comes. And when that happens, the feeling is such a high that I race back home and start writing.

5. What have you gotten out of your path to publication? What did you learn from it?

That's a great question and not usually asked. Since I'm still at the beginning of my path, I still have so much to learn. But so far, I've learned to keep believing in what I've set out to do. I've learned to have fun with it. And I've learned not to be afraid to ask for what I want. It's an awesome ride, and I plan to enjoy every minute of it. :-)

6. What advice do you have for aspiring, young authors?

The advice that I always give is one that I wish was given to me when I was starting out: be prepared for the wait. Like I said before, all that waiting can break you. Sometimes you will feel that you're career isn't moving forward and you just want to give up so you can move on to something else, but if you can't see yourself being anything else other than an author, then prepare to wait. Gather as much patience as you can and you'll be better off because of it.

7. What's next, after "Taste?"

I'm actually editing the first of a trilogy that I have with Entangled Publishing called Til Death. As excited as I am to share Taste with everyone, I can't wait to show Selena's and Dillan's story with all of you. So, for the latest news about my writing and the shenanigans I find myself in, come over to my blog by visiting my website: www.kateevangelista.com

I'd like to take this moment to thank the wonderful ladies of Characterized Book Blog for inviting me to answer their questions. It's a pleasure to be featured on your lovely blog. Please continue blogging and keep up the great work!

Closing Thoughts:

Clearly, Kate Evangelista, is a woman with a great amount of perseverance, and heart. We would just like to once again, thank her for the interview, and wish her "Best of luck," on her journey as a writer (:


If you'd like to get in touch with her, click on any of the following links.


www.kateevangelista.com

4 comments:

  1. You guys are so sweet! Keep up the awesome work! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this interview. I love the advice for new authors. Waiting is hard! :) I have actually become more patient with the waiting- but I know everyone in my life thinks that books are published within a month of being written. I wish Kate much success!

    I am new to your blog from Book Blogs and I am really enjoying your site!
    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate: Glad you liked it. Thank you so much, and good luck!

    Fairday Morrow: Thank you. It tooks us so long to think of those questions! But, we're glad you liked them. Aww, you just made our day <3 Your blog is amazing, we look at your blog for updates everyday. (Not in an awkward stalker way, thoughh ..)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a giveaway on my blog ongoing, just wanted to let you know! :3
    Disincentive @ (read, watch, listen) - reviews

    ReplyDelete