Sunday, April 29, 2012

Review: Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins

Author: Rachel Hawkins
Series: Hex Hall (#3)
Publisher: Hyperion Books for Children
Release Date: March 13, 2012
Pages: 327
Read in: 3 days


Overview:
Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies—the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that’s what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn’t as confident.

Sophie’s bound for one hell of a ride—can she get her powers back before it’s too late?

A Teenager's Perspective:

FINALLY! I've bought, read, and am now reviewing my long awaited birthright: Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins. First things first, may I just point out how cruel it is to make an overburdened teenager, wait how many months for a novel's release? Oh yeah, that's right twelve! You know what that is? CRUEL & UNUSUAL PUNISHMENT.

Any who Spell Bound. Right. Sophie, has no powers, or well-- she might as well not have any. After the Casnoff sisters attempted to follow through with the Removal, for Sophie, there was a small mix-up. Well, maybe not a mix up. More like an INVASION! Sophie manages to escape within an inch of her life, while the building begins to burn down, with her beloved Archer AND father, of course.Luckily, sexy, caring, amazingly beautiful, gorgeous -- okay, that's enough. Cal comes to save the day! *Cue, the Superman music* (Oh my god, I love him.)

*A bit of a spoiler, ahead*

In Spell Bound, Sophie discovers a new side of herself, and her mom, that she never knew existed.Secrets are uncovered, as the past interlocks with the present, and Sophie has to really ask herself: "What side of the battle am I on?"

I was a little disappointed at the turn of events in Spell Bound. I was so sure I was going to love the book, but I just -- I didn't. I liked it, but I just wasn't able to "love" it. Sophie seems to just want to make-out with Archer, each time there is a problem. Archer appears, and disappears, and even though Cal is there EVERY waking minute, of her freaking existence, she chooses Archer. Maybe I'm Team Cal, or maybe SOMETHING isn't clicking in Sophie's brain. But, out of all the novels in the Hex Hall series, I must say -- this was not my favorite.

Sorry guys, I'm so frustrated with this review, because I want to express my feelings so many events that took place, but then I'd be a spoiler, wouldn't I? And, I wouldn't want that. So, I guess I'll end this review by saying: What did you guys think of Spell Bound?

Rating:







No comments:

Post a Comment