Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Review: Crave by Melissa Darnell

Author: Melissa Darnell
Series: Crave (#1) 
Publisher: Harlequin Teen Australia
Release Date: November 1, 2011
Pages: 309 (E-book)
Read in: 4 days

Overview:
Savannah Colbert has never known why she's so hated by the kids of the Clann. Nor can she deny her instinct to get close to Clann golden boy Tristan Coleman. Especially when she recovers from a strange illness and the attraction becomes nearly irresistible. It's as if he's a magnet, pulling her gaze, her thoughts, even her dreams. Her family has warned her to have nothing to do with him, or any members of the Clann. But when Tristan is suddenly everywhere she goes, Savannah fears she's destined to fail.
For years, Tristan has been forbidden to even speak to Savannah Colbert. Then Savannah disappears from school for a week and comes back…different, and suddenly he can't stay away. Boys seem intoxicated just from looking at her. His own family becomes stricter than ever. And Tristan has to fight his own urge to protect her, to be near her no matter the consequences….
 


The Sugar and Spice: 

I kind of guessed this book was about vampires. The whole craving concept, had me thinking: "Vampire and blood", or "Angel and love." THANKFULLY, I didn't have to endure one of the many tacky  bloody-fangs covers on the market nowadays. (Darnell - 1, Cruise - 1. Don't you just love a win-win situation?)

While based solely around Savannah's life as a vampire, we actually get a glimpse into her previous life when she was/believed she was human. This one element made me soooo happy.  Which is more than I can say for other paranormal-vampire novels out there.

Savannah begins to get these weird feelings, talents, and enhanced abilities in the beginning of the novel. Until FINALLY, she falls deathly ill with the "flu." (The flu? The flu, really?!) During this point in time, her parents decide it's perfectly okay to inform their 15+ year old daughter that she is human. My response? Thanks mom and dad ... for nothing! You know what irked me sooooo much?! Instead of her to be angry like I was , she was just soooo happy! 'Hey mom, how do I fling a cup across the room?,' 'Oh my God, dad, what type of tricks can I do with my eyes.' No, no, AND NO.

Moving on. When she discovers she's a (*spoiler*) vampire/witch I felt like her demeanor began to change. Savannah becomes this confident vigilante, who defends herself for each bully attack she's a target of. This KILLED me to the point where I just wanted to drain all of her powers, and yell 'There! You're human again!'

For once in my entire lifetime, I've read a book with just one guy. No crazy love triangles that make me cringe, or cry. So, thanks Melissa. I needed that. (Totally in love with her.) While I do give Darnell the highest of high-fives, I just didn't like the love interest, Tristan. He was adorable, but I still felt like he was arrogant, rebellious (to the point of insanity), and too 'perfect.' Throughout the whole course of the novel, I prayed to whoever would listen to me, that Savannah didn't fall in love with him.

I think I'm going to end this review with more sugar than spice:

I really felt like this was an original. Melissa Darnell wasn't another 'Twilight paraphraser,' as we like to say. She had her own style, all the characters seemed realistic, with the exception of Tristan. I'm still kind of "iffy" about Savannah's transition from a human to a paranormal, but besides that, Crave wasn't all that bad. If those 2 circumstances were fixed, I might've called it a Stop, Drop, and Read. As of now, I'll say it's a Stop, Wait , and CONSIDER.




5 comments:

  1. I agree with you - I don't quite like books with "perfect" characters or love triangles - but I suppose sometimes you have to deal with one anyways. At least this book didn't have both - lots of books do D:

    It also seems that authors like to add overly-happy attitudes to their characters. I know that if I was informed I was/was not human, and was sick with the flu, I wouldn't be too happy....

    Anyways, great review! I'm glad you enjoyed the book - maybe someday I'll pick it up myself. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this book before. I like the change up in the whole vampire thing. And no love triangle! I think I'm sold. I might have to give this a try.

    Great review and I really like the layout of your blog. I'm following you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I think I might pass on this one. I don't like the perfect-boy characters and it sounds like the protag would annoy me.

    Great review, Demitra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem! Thanks guys! *Blushes* Yes, books with these type of characters can be a bit ... irritating.

    @It's A Hardcover Life - Thanks for the follow back (: & We LOVE your blog, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's nice that this book is not a total Twilight imitation. I personally think vampires make good stories- if written by good authors ;) You should check out Meg Cabot's paranormal stories if you haven't already! The Insatiable series is pretty good!

    Great blog :)
    http://aviddreader.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete