Sunday, June 24, 2012

Review: Night School by C.J Daughtery

Author: C.J Daughtery
Series: Night School (#1)
Publisher: Atom
Release Date: January 5th, 2012
Pages: 451
Read in: 3 days

Overview:
Sometimes school can be murder. . . Allie Sheridan's world is falling apart. She hates her school. Her brother has run away from home. And she's just been arrested. Again. This time her parents have finally had enough. They cut her off from her friends and send her away to a boarding school for problem teenagers. But Cimmeria Academy is no ordinary school. It allows no computers or phones. Its students are an odd mixture of the gifted, the tough and the privileged. And then there's the secretive Night School, whose activities other students are forbidden even to watch. When Allie is attacked one night the incident sets off a chain of events leading to the violent death of a girl at the summer ball. As the school begins to seem like a very dangerous place, Allie must learn who she can trust. And what's really going on at Cimmeria Academy.

The Sugar and Spice:

Night School, was one of those mystery/paranormal novels that just aggravates most people to the point of insanity. Unfortunately, we were one of those people. It wasn't all bad though, is just wasn't all good either.

Night School begins with an introduction to Allie Sheridan's lifestyle. This rebel of a girl, is constantly in trouble for unlawful acts. These acts are all believed to have resulted from the runaway of her brother, Christopher. She and her brother were once close; until the two weeks that preceded his disappearance. Since then, she's been increasingly distant from her family. This ultimately causes her to become what some may label as a delinquent.

Finally, her parents draw the line, and send her off to this creepy, CREEPY, school named Cimmeria. (Is it me, or does the school's name already set off alarm bells when you hear it? Cimmeria, hmm?)

Throughout her stay at Cimmeria, Allie discovers a new side of herself, and others around her. As she sinks deeper into a thousand-year old feud, she begins to wonder what her parents were hiding from her, and how many people around her are actually telling her the full, honest-to-God truth.

I really liked how Allie was in the beginning of the novel. I felt like she changed when she arrived at Cimmeria. Not that change is bad, but in a matter of minutes? I don't think so. As she adjusts, she gets kind of comfy with some of the girls, and begins to skate on thin ice with others. I don't know about you guys, but if I can avoid trouble easily, I'm going to avoid it. Screw the whole sticking-up-for-what-you-believe-in speech, if someone looks like trouble - LEAVE THEM ALONE!

A "love triangle" develops as the novel progresses. I'm actually not that sure you can call it a triangle, I'm just going to go right ahead and call it a line. Two fixed points. One being Allie, the other being Sylvain. The other fellow's name. Charles? Cayden? Chuck? Oh wait, his name was Carter ... He held NO significance in my opinion. So what, you say a few sweet words to a girl, and it's okay for you to fall in love with her? What about the good old days, when people liked to get to know each other better, before releasing the dreaded three words (I love you.) Uh Uh. I was really disappointed when Allie fell for him! He acts so bipolar. One minute he's in love, the next minute he's all "Shove it up your piehole, Sheridan." Carter was just not for me. I honestly didn't understand his importance throughout the novel, besides the many escapades they traveled on. Even then, I think Allie and Carter would be better off as friends, who just-so-happen to flirt. I mean, hello?! The cutest thing ever is in love with you. (Sylvain.) Tsk Tsk.

Sylvain kind of reminds me of Sylvester the cat from those old cartoons. Not when he's all evil, though. When he's friends with the baby Tweety bird, and all the other Looney Toon characters.

*Clears throat* Back to the matters at hand. What is up with Allie's ability to forgive so quickly? I mean the saying says forgive and forget, but she is just too innocent! Then she has the nerve to ask why people are hiding things from her? Hmmm ?! I don't know Allie, maybe, because you act as fragile as glass! You know what pissed me off even more?! I don't know what the hell she is. I mean books like the Born at Midnight series keeps you on your toes with the drama, and some developing special abilities. In Night School, however, Allie has nothing. Sure, you're pretty, but what the heck do you do?! I got nothing out of this book.The characters, and the drama were a bit amusing - cute if anything. But the only reason I finished reading this book, is because I felt like I was obligated to, since I had only seven chapters left.

I'm just going to end this review, by saying Night School was an OKAY novel, but it just didn't make me want to Stop, Drop, and Read. I kind of wanted to Run, Run, and Ignore.



6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You have been awarded the Liebster Blog Award! To find out what it is about Go to: http://loveaffairwithabookreviews.blogspot.ca/

    I really need to get this book as well! So many books to read! *sigh* GREAT REVIEW BY THE WAY! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting book :) and congrats on the award :)

    Thanks for commenting on my book blogs profile. I'm now following :)

    http://bound2astound.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog!
    I like the design.
    Lucie
    http://newbooksonmyselves.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes. I'll definitely pass on this one! Great review, though. Honest - just how I like them. :)

    Thanks for stopping by and congrats on the Liebster award!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, guys! We're soo glad you like the new design.<3

    @Maida - Thanks for the award! OMGOMG (Freaking out, right now.)
    @Gin - Pass? Not a bad idea, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a sucker for cotton candy and cuteness, hence, I'm a new follower ;) I liked this review and think that you had valid points and reason for your rating, but a part of me is hoping I like it more than you did just because I bought it yesterday ^_^

    Visit me? judithschoicereads.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete