Saturday, July 21, 2012

Review: Getting over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald

Author: Abby McDonald
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Release Date: January 24th 2012
Pages: 336
Read in: 2 days

Overview:

Seventeen-year-old Sadie is in love: epic, heartfelt, and utterly one-sided. The object of her obsession - ahem, affection - is her best friend, Garrett Delaney, who has been oblivious to Sadie's
feelings ever since he sauntered into her life and wowed her with his passion for Proust (not to mention his deep-blue eyes). For two long, painful years, Sadie has been Garrett's constant companion, sharing his taste in everything from tragic Russian literature to art films to '80s indie rock
- all to no avail. But when Garrett leaves for a summer literary retreat, Sadie is sure that the absence will make his heart grow fonder - until he calls to say he's fallen in love. With some other girl! A heartbroken Sadie realizes that she's finally had enough. It's time for total Garrett detox! Aided by a barista job, an eclectic crew of new friends (including the hunky chef, Josh), and a customized selfhelp guide, Sadie embarks on a summer of personal reinvention full of laughter, mortifying meltdowns, and a double shot of love.


The Sugar and Spice: 

I was wrong! So so so wrong about this book. For once in my life, I’m glad I was wrong, though. After reading the Overview, and looking at the novel’s title: “Getting over Garrett Delaney.” I found myself thinking something among the lines of … “Ugh, not another pathetic break-up story.” But, as I’ve previously stated I was WRONG.

“Getting over Garrett Delaney” begins with our poor, poor, Sadie pining over her best friend/ guy-who-will-never-notice-how-much-she-loves-him, Garrett. School’s out and Garrett goes away to the camp that Sadie and he were supposed to attend together. Keywords – supposed to. Only problem? Sadie gets a rejection letter, while Garrett gets an acceptance letter. Sadie thinks her life is over, until she finally gets the job her mom has been bugging her about. The job is at her favorite coffee place, ________. (Oooh, barista! Nice switch.) What was supposed to be a boring summer, mooning over Garrett, becomes this fun-filled, rediscovery/detox program. Unfortunately, what aids this program is the breaking of Sadie’s heart. That’s right. Garrett admits his love … FOR ANOTHER GIRL! (The nerve, right?!) Sadie’s rediscovery/detox program starts off kind of rough. However, when her friends join in, the book gets a way more interesting.
Eventually, Sadie’s on her own again. When she finally begins to understand how much she changed her world around for Garrett, Sadie finally begins to look at the bigger picture, and she realizes that she wasn’t as independent as she always thought she was. By the book’s end, Sadie rediscovered who she really was, what her interests were, and FINALLY realized that people, who love you, don’t try to change you.

From the beginning I thought Garrett was cocky, annoying, irritating, demanding, and selfish. Don’t get me wrong … he sounds, and probably is nothing short of YUMMY. But, he was most definitely not for me. I really liked the real Sadie, she made me laugh, she stood up for herself, very sarcastic (one of my sometimes “accidental” traits), and overall she reminded of the independent teenager that most girls hope to be. I also enjoyed when Garrett came back from summer camp, her newly-changed attitude had me yelling “You go, girl!” Anyway … I am totally, utterly, and completely in love with this book. If you’re looking for some new, and interesting Chick-lit, this is totally up your alley.


                                     

5 comments:

  1. I'm kind of the same, I thought the blurb sounded a bit samey but after your review I'll definitely be reading it
    RB :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually thought the same thing too!(LOL)
    But I've definitely reconsidered. Thanks! Added to my TBR-list. Love your blog <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review! I like chick-lit, but am a little picky, so I'm definitely picking up this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! Glad we could convince you. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh I totally need to read this. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some tips x__x

    ReplyDelete