Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Review: Narc by Crissa-Jean Chappell

Author: Crissa-Jean Chappell
Publisher: Flux
Release Date: August 8, 2012
Pages: 279
Read in: 4 days

Overview:

"You're going to hate me forever when you learn my secret."

Seventeen-year-old stoner Aaron Foster was offered a choice: go to jail or turn undercover narc to find the dealer who's funneling drugs into Miami's Palm Hammock High School. But Aaron has never been good at getting close to people. He's human wallpaper, a stoner wastecase who's obsessed with video games and street magic.

With a cop from Narcotics breathing down his neck, Aaron gets himself invited to parties where the deals go down. To get close to the school's biggest players, Aaron lies to everyone--most of all, the cute but troubled Morgan Baskin. With the Everglades party on Halloween night--and a planned drug bust there--just days away, Aaron realizes that he's falling hard for Morgan . . . and trying to protect her could cost him everything.

*I received Narc as a free review copy, in exchange for an honest review. For more information go to our Authors-Publisher Policy.*

The Sugar and Spice:

First things first, is anyone looking at that cover the way I’m looking at it? I mean there’s not a lot going on with the cover, but it’s enough to make you wonder where that loner kid’s story is going to take us.

Narc is about a guy named Aaron, he’s not the most popular kid in school, and he’s not the smartest. He looks just like the guy on the cover --  alone. Until he’s caught doing twenty over the limit, with his little sister in the car. He’s pulled over by a cop. What’s the worst that could happen, right? A ticket, and your free. Unfortunately … his sister is caught with a dime bag of weed. Thinking about how this would tear apart his mom, and his barely-holding-it-together family, Aaron accepts a job offered by the officer to act as an undercover narc, and help the Narcotic Unit take down the people supplying drugs to his school, Palm Hammock. While on this undercover “mission,” Aaron discovers more about the person he is/wants to be. The group of “friends,” he begins to associate himself with, are The stoners. Only  Aaron wasn’t expecting to actually like them … or most of them.

I am completely and utterly in love with Crissa-Jean Chappell. From page one, she jumped right into the problem at hand. I didn’t have to push myself through this novel, at all, I just kept going and I didn’t want to stop, either. Also did anyone notice the main character is male?! Yay, for originality! I really liked how Chappell identified Aaron as an outsider from the beginning of the novel. It gave me a reason to want to root him. To want him to kiss a girl for the first time, do crazy teenager things, have a first real girlfriend, fall in love, have friends, and overall love Aaron’s character.

I honestly have nothing bad to say about Narc. I was very disappointed by the ending, but it makes sense now, when reflecting on it. This is a definite Stop-drop-and-read. If you weren’t fully compelled to read Narc, then I’m telling you, this a quick, easy, and intriguing read that you won’t regret.




Author Info:
Crissa-Jean Chappell is the author of Total Constant Order (HarperTeen, 2007), which earned a bronze medal from the Florida Book Awards, received a VOYA “Perfect Ten,” and was named a New York Public Library “Book for the Teen Age.” She holds an interdisciplinary Ph.D. in literature, film theory, and philosophy from the University of Miami, as well as an MFA in screenwriting. Her reviews, short stories, and poems have appeared in many magazines, including Confrontation, Tatlins Tower, Broken Wrist Project, and the Southwest Review. For more than eight years, Chappell wrote a weekly film column for the Miami Sun-Post. The author lives in New York.

Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads
Website

20 comments:

  1. Aaah! I love the cover and the effects on it! Anyways, this definitely seems like a book I would like! I like books with legal or crime issues, haha (:

    For some reason, this book reminds me of Wanted by Heidi Ayarbe though :/ Not exactly sure why. Have you read it? Anyways, thanks for the review :D I definitely look forward to reading Narc (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, you've peaked my interest. It's not something I would normally read but may pick it up anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Review I Heard of this book! It sounds great! The cover looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome to have such a young dynamic writer. wanting to read more from them. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant review! I really like that cover!

    I have a sort-of love/hate relationship with male narrators but I'm glad to know he's easy to get on with!

    Thanks so much for leaving a comment on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the cover as well. I think that the premise has been well explored however and I was forced to give it a 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A 3? Really? We admit, there were some things that could have made this a 3. I guess we gave our review more sugar than spice, huh? (:

      Annie and Demi~

      Delete
  7. Hi girls, everything is okay over here? I you haven't posted anything lately? Or is it my browser working funny?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Lectus - LOL, no your browser's working perfectly fine. We've been out reading a bunch of books, with our summer homework. We find it weird , its called "summer vacation," when we've barely had a vacation from school. We promise to post something up soon, though (:

    Annie and Demi ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! good to know. I almost thought you were giving up blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    Saw the link to your blog on the Book Blogs group. Following you via GFC. My blog:
    365 Books A Year
    My Twitter if you want to exchange follows there. Just follow and I'll follow back within 24 hours.

    I think this sounds like a great book for boys- especially boys who don't like to read. I may give it a try and pass it along to my son. He pretty much only reads realistic fiction- he even hated The Hunger Games. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi!
    I just came across your site and it is really lovely! I happily followed you and will enjoy reading your updates. You can find me over at Rainy Day Reads, www.rainydayreads.com It would be great if you could stop by and I would love to have a fellow book lover as a new follower.
    Christine x
    Rainy Day Reads
    www.rainydayreads.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course it has to be Miami :P
    I really want this book so I'm glad I can see a good review on it.
    Found you on book blogs by the way and followed you (:
    http://shesgotbooksonhermind.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Friday Greetings my fellow Blogger!

    I have awesome news: I've nominated you for The One Lovely Blog Award!

    So tootle along to my blog and pick it up:
    http://bellaharte.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/are-you-feeling-blog-love-i-am.html

    Have a wonderful day :)

    Bella x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey!

    You've been nominated for the One Lovely Blog Award!

    Go to http://thebookloversreport.blogspot.com/2012/09/one-lovely-blog-award.html for more details on it.

    - Cierra @ The Book Lover's Report

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just wanted to let you know that I've nominated your blog for the One Lovely Blog Award! You can read more about it here: http://theyabookworm.blogspot.ca/2012/09/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review! :)
    This sounds really interesting. The cover's great! :D
    I think I need to add it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A 3? Really? We admit, there were some things that could have made this a 3. I guess we gave our review more sugar than spice, huh? (:

    Annie and Demi~

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Lectus - LOL, no your browser's working perfectly fine. We've been out reading a bunch of books, with our summer homework. We find it weird , its called "summer vacation," when we've barely had a vacation from school. We promise to post something up soon, though (:

    Annie and Demi ~

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by Rockaboo Design Studio