Sunday, November 4, 2012

Review: Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian

Author: Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Release Date: September 18, 2012
Pages: 368
Read in: 1 day

Overview:

BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY...
THEY GET EVEN.

Lillia has never had any problems dealing with boys who like her. Not until this summer, when one went too far. No way will she let the same thing happen to her little sister.

Kat is tired of the rumours, the insults, the cruel jokes. It all goes back to one person– her ex-best friend– and she's ready to make her pay.

Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she's not the same girl anymore. And she's ready to prove it to him.

Three very different girls who want the same thing: sweet, sweet revenge. And they won't stop until they each had a taste.

*I received Burn for Burn as a free review e-copy, in exchange for an honest review by Net Galley.  For more information go to our Authors-Publisher Policy.*

This was mostly a spice review!

Kat, Lillia, and Mary have all been wronged, and believe me with all my heart I believe they deserve revenge. But the way they go about it was so freaking frustrating! I love a good revenge book, you know? Mwahahaha, and all that. But with Burn for Burn, I felt like certain elements/scenes were thrown together to fulfill a purpose that I felt really didn't matter. As a result, the back stories for the girls kind of lagged - a lot. Lillia, who I thought was wronged the most wasn't as revengeful (Yes I made up that word.) as Kat and Mary. However, the slight Paranormal twist had me going crazy! Literally, I was like this :

ALLL DAYYY LONG.


I did it again! I judged a book based on its cover and now I will forever be disappointed  My "take" on this? All books should have no covers! The only thing I want to rely is on, is the blurb. Unfortunately, whenever I see a gorgeous cover, it just calls to me. It's all "Behold! The best book you will ever read. You know you want to read me over and over again." So what do I do? I go Net Galley, and request/download it. Yay, for me! NOT. Well ... kind of NOT.

Burn for Burn is a story of 3 girls who all want one thing. Revenge. Their different plots for revenge all intertwine, because of the fact that they all involve the same circle of friend/enemies and everything else in between. So why not team up, right? Wrong. In fact so wrong, that someone is probably going to end up paying for it in the end. (Unintentionally slightly-not-really-a-spoiler spoiler. I kind of apologize. Not Really.) Triple the trouble, nevertheless.


Overall, I thought Burn for Burn had a lot of potential, but the ENDING, and some other scenes fell short, and didn't serve the book much justice. Oh and guess what? Its a series now! Isn't that swell. -_- Maybe I might read the next book. Maybe not. One thing's for sure, it's totally going to drag onnnnnnnnnnnnn....



5 comments:

  1. Your blog is SO cute! Thanks for the welcome on bookblogs, and please check out my blog and follow me if you want. :)
    -Heather
    http://owlnestlyreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much <3 Heading over to your blog, now (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wanetd this book for so long too! You're forgiven I judged it by its cover as well. We shall make a pact together, to completely ignore books with covers ... idk how well that'll work out, though. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree! it might not be one of my brightest ideas, we shall work this out over Twitter, Liza! Perfecting this master plan will help us to never ever have to deal with a disappointing book ever again. Mwahahahah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww man.. I was really looking forward to this and I thought it was going to be amazing but now I'm not so sure :( Great review anyhow!

    ReplyDelete