Saturday, November 10, 2012

Review: Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Release Date: October 18th 2011
Pages: 281
Read in: 2 days

Overview:
The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1: Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.


Alex is a half-blood, a.k.a "affair-child" between a Hematoi and a human. When she was 12, her mother took her away from the Covenant, a school for pure-bloods (Hematoi) and half-bloods to learn or help go into the "field." No, not the medical field or the business field, but the kick-ass-hunting-daimons-for-a-living-field! I don't know about you guys, but I sure do love some kick-ass action. Alex was torn away from that for an unknown reason, she probably wishes she found at earlier. An unlikely but sad event occurs that puts her in the hands of the Covenant again. Literally, puts Alex in the hands of the Covenant, scratch that - an extremely breath-takingly, beautiful, save-me-I'm-drowning Sentinel, Aiden. Now, two options are presented to her. Obey her "elders" and catch up on what she has missed for the last 4 years, or be submitted into a life of slavery. I think Alex's decision is pretty clear here, but when push comes to shove Alex will be forced to re-assess herself and determine what she really wants, what she really needs, and what road she's willing to take to achieve these goals.

First things first, if you've read the Vampire Academy series and loved it, then you'll either love Half-Blood or hate it! Half-Blood is almost exactly like the Vampire Academy series, in that the characters are almost identically modeled. The relationships, their attitudes, and their train of thoughts all seem to be alike. However, I'm not reviewing the Vampire Academy series, I'm reviewing Half-Blood, so I think I’ll focus on Half-Blood, rather than compare it to the Vampire Academy series.

I really loved Armentrout's writing style. She made me feel for Alex and the trials and tribulations she was put through. At certain points in the story, I found myself wanting to jump in and backhand a couple of guys for her, and that one stereotyped Barbie girl who believes she's superior to every girl ever born to the planet Earth. Armentrout's work flowed logically, and made me want to ... simply put, "go with the flow." I felt this was far from "fan-fiction." While no-doubt extremely comparable to the Vampire Academy series, Half-Blood was original, right down to the core. I mean forbidden relationships? HOT. Sexy god-like people? Extremely HOT. And a bunch of consistent kick-ass action? Well that's just down-right blazing!
Read Forever. Seriously.


11 comments:

  1. You must catch up Anastasia! Diety is being released this month, you probably already know that b/c of your giveaway ... Hurry anyway, my darling. *frantically flailing arms in the air*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah i know D:. I'm hurrying Eliza, darling. I'm hurrying!
    I responded on Twitter, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with Eliza! I'm also waiting for Deity. ashdfghknj,hkhuejGTHJKDK - I NEED TO GET MY HANDS ON IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing standing between us and Deity is shipping and handling. The mailman needs to drive faster! D: I'm currently filing a complaint with the UPS with a subject 'Obstruction of Justice.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you broke it down! It's absolutely adorable and reminds me a lot like Power Puff Girls. 0____0


    Anywho, I'm a new follower, and i'm glad you welcomed me to Book Blogs and to your blog. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would it be bad, if we told you that's where we got the idea from ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful blog, it looks great. I love VA so I'll have to check this out! Great review.

    New follower.
    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much! Us as well. Thanks for the follow. (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much! Us as well. Thanks for the follow. (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does it bother you when you pick up a novel and find it's just like another book? It drives me crazy and I find myself feeling duped by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, it definitely does! We made sure to take off one star for originality, but just like the Vampire Academy series, it was still a good book. However, we were kind of warned before we started reading so we weren't as irked as everyone else probably was. But, yeah. We definitely get how it would irk someone to be reading the same story-line again, but with a different title. Coincidence or not? We kind of just leave that to the publishers and authors to argue about.

    ReplyDelete