Sunday, December 2, 2012

Review: Eve & Adam by Michael Grant & Katherine Applegate

Author: Michael Grant & Katherine Applegate
Publisher:  Feiwel & Friends
Release Date: October 2nd 2012
Pages: 291
Read in: 3 days

Overview:
And girl created boy…

In the beginning, there was an apple—

And then there was a car crash, a horrible injury, and a hospital. But before Evening Spiker’s head clears a strange boy named Solo is rushing her to her mother’s research facility. There, under the best care available, Eve is left alone to heal.

Just when Eve thinks she will die—not from her injuries, but from boredom—her mother gives her a special project: Create the perfect boy.

Using an amazingly detailed simulation, Eve starts building a boy from the ground up. Eve is creating Adam. And he will be just perfect... won’t he?

Eve & Adam is about a 17-year old girl named Evening Spiker. On her way back home one day, she is involved in a tragic car accident. Minus the tragic, actually. The accident that severed her leg and with-out-a-doubt should’ve killed her; leaves her ... alive. In fact, probably more alive than she’d ever been. There’s only one problem when she wakes up - she’s not in a hospital. She’s in her mother’s research facility, Spiker Bio-pharmaceuticals.

Eve is introduced to a mysterious young guy named Solo. And when I say Solo, I mean he most definitely should NOT be solo. Swoon. Little does she now, he secretly has this wicked revenge plot to get back at her mom for taking his parents away from him. (Crazy twist ending, by the way.) Together, they set out to make things right at Spiker Bio-pharmaceuticals  while simultaneously developing feelings for each other. (Sigh.)

 
Let's take this one step at a time, shall we?

Characters - While I thought Grant and Applegate developed the characters really well, some of them just didn't add up. Example? Aislin. What’s this chick’s problem? Her drug dealer, money-stealing, no-good, lying-behind cheating boyfriend has to be a hundred times hotter than his personality, because honestly, I don’t know what on earth could have compelled this girl to continue going out with him and have her best friend, Eve save his butt several times. Seriously, Aislin.  Somethings got to give. However, while I didn't like him very much,I felt the novel was missing pieces and when it wasn't,  then the pieces were awkwardly placed to fit the story together. For example, what the heck happens to her boyfriend at the end? She just leaves him for dead. 

Insta-Love - Don’t get me started on the Insta-love between Eve and Solo. No. No. NO. Here I am reading over the chapter, and Solo’s playing hero to go save Eve’s butt once again, and you know what I read? Him admitting he’s madly in love with the woman-who-killed-his-parent’s daughter. Whoa. Rewind. You love her. After what ... 2 weeks? Don’t get me wrong I am a firm believer in love at first sight, but I found the relationship between Eve & Adam to be a bit ... unrealistic. Yes. Let’s go with that word.

I really like how Grant and Applegate developed their characters and the relationships between them. They all have this familiarity with each other that made me want to just give - Solo -  I mean all of them one huge group hug. The plot was extremely compelling, and imaginative. Cloning, creating humans, and all that mumbo-jumbo had me really whacked out throughout the few hours it took me to read the novel. 


Does anyone remember this plot line from an old, late 80's - early 90's movie?

2 comments:

  1. I won this book from a giveaway, and I hope I get along with it! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete