Friday, December 21, 2012

Review: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater


Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher:  Scholastic Press
Release Date: September 18th 2012
Pages: 409
Read in: 2 days




Overview
Blue has spent the majority of her sixteen years being told that if she kisses her true love, he will die. When Blue meets Gansey’s spirit on the corpse road she knows there is only one reason why – either he is her true love or she has killed him.

Determined to find out the truth, Blue becomes involved with the Raven Boys, four boys from the local private school (lead by Gansey) who are on a quest to discover Glendower – a lost ancient Welsh King who is buried somewhere along the Virginia ley line. Whoever finds him will be granted a supernatural favour.


Never before has Blue felt such magic around her. But is Gansey her true love? She can’t imagine a time she would feel like that, and she is adamant not to be the reason for his death. Where will fate lead them?



First things first, I'd like to state that my rating might not be accurate. A lot of reviews I've read hyped up this book in all its glory and I just didn't find it ... glorious. Also, my expectations were really high after reading and LOVING Maggie Stiefvater's trilogy, The Wolves of Mercy Falls

The Raven Boys revolves around a guy named Gansey and his ever-determined search for a man named Glendower. On his search, he is joined by two - make that three of his best friends that attend private school with him: Adam, Ronan, and Noah. (The emblem of the school is a raven. Woah. Would ya' look at that? I wonder how they came up with the title...) On their search, the boys decide to consult a psychic. Enter Blue. A daughter, niece, roommate, and observer of psychics. She, herself, isn't psychic, but this all changes on St. Mark's Eve when she sees and communicates with a "ghost". The "ghost" she sees belongs to Gansey, someone who is still alive; meaning either she's his true love, or his murderer. 

The Raven Boys is told in a sort of third/first person point of view. That wasn't consistent and made me extremely confused! I loved Blue, the some-what main character, however, her personality was NOT consistent, either. One minute she's shy and collected, and the next she's this sassy, "I don't have to put up with you" kind of gal. It clashed. It just did. Sorry. The relationship, while I loved, felt too ... forced. Last but certainly, CERTAINLY not least was the rushing! I felt like I was being pushed through the book! Now, don't get me wrong; I really love books that jump into the action, but NOT when I have to reread and ANALYZE pages just to understand what the heck is going on.  What was supposed to be the climax ended up being a little bump in the road!

Overall, The Raven Boys just didn't live up to all the hype. For me, there were a few good scenes sprinkled here and there, but there was no Big Bang - no climax - no pizazz - no "Woah. Did that just happen?" moment.  I felt as if I was being rushed into the madness, into the magic, into the relationships, and into the characters. As a result, I was kind of JUST reading, I wasn't really feeling. Sorry, guys, but I think I'm gonna advise that you pass this one up.

9 comments:

  1. I love Maggie Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls series too! I'm going to take your word on this. 2 star rating? Nuh-uh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, man! I'm sorry that you didn't like it. I personally loved it, but I haven't read The Mercy Falls series, so I had absolutely nothing to compare it to. And maybe, just maybe, I loved the idea of it. I just...yeah. Loved it. I see that our opinions clash, but it's probably a good thing.

    Great review, Anastasia! :D

    Loves,
    Megan@The Book Babe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha, I felt the same way! I didn't like it at all. I didn't understand what the deal was with the line and got frustrated. Half way through the book and don't know what's going on or what is supposed to happen? I abandoned it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precisely. Wasn't it amaaazing? <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precisely. Wasn't it amaaazing? <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really? You should definitely read The Wolves of Mercy Falls, soon! Lol, yeah. Thanks Megan! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, yesss! It took me so long to understand the line concept. I was literally analyzing page after page .___. Really? I have this habit, where I HAVE to finish books, I can't not finish them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How Anastasia, how do you make boxes for the overview of your book? Your blog is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete