Saturday, January 12, 2013

Review: The Dead and Buried by Kim Harrington


Author: Kim Harrington
Publisher:  Scholastic Point
Release Date: January 1 2013 (Happy New Year!)
Pages: 304
Read in: 2 days

Overview
A haunted house, a buried mystery, and a very angry ghost make this one unforgettable thriller.

Jade loves the house she's just moved into with her family. She doesn't even mind being the new girl at the high school: It's a fresh start, and there's that one guy with the dreamy blue eyes. . . . But then things begin happening. Strange, otherworldly things. Jade's little brother claims to see a glimmering girl in his room. Jade's jewelry gets moved around, as if by an invisible hand. Kids at school whisper behind her back like they know something she doesn't.


Soon, Jade must face an impossible fact: that her perfect house is haunted. Haunted by a ghost who's seeking not just vengeance, but the truth. The ghost of a girl who ruled Jade's school — until her untimely death last year. It's up to Jade to put the pieces together before her own life is at stake. As Jade investigates the mystery, she discovers that her new friends in town have more than a few deep, dark secrets. But is one of them a murderer?

*I received a copy of The Dead and Buried via NetGalley * (Also purchased! I had to ... 51 days is not enough time to admire this book!)
The Dead and Buried was a chilling novel about a teenage girl named, Jade. Jade moves to an upscale home in Silver Road (Woodbridge), Boston with her dad, stepmother, and brother, Colby. Jade has always wanted to live in a big town, with more kids her age, better education opportunities, and a big house. This is all granted to her ... for a little price. The huge house they move into used to belong to one of the wealthiest families in Woodbridge, however, the price on the market was reduced after the “accident.” The summer before, a girl named Kayla Sloane was believed to have fallen down the stairs. Keyword believed. Others believe she was pushed down the stairs, making the house Jade’s living in, the used-to-be crime scene of a homicide. This is the reason for some of the resentment the other kids have in school for her. They’re constantly whispering behind her back, not mention the same guys that fell for Kayla, are also falling for Jade. Jade gets through every day doing just that - getting by. But when her little brother, Colby, starts seeing the ghost of a teenage girl, things get strange. And when that ghost starts threatening Colby and Jade, things get ... stranger. Finally the ghost girl asks something of Jade - to find her murderer. As Kayla’s past unravels before Jade’s eyes, she begins to realize that the people around her are holding a lot more secrets then she’d ever believed.

I really loved Kim Harrington’s style of writing, what I loved even more were the diary entries from Kayla. Kayla wrote in a sort-of code that wasn't easy to understand.  The addition of her diary entries to the novel was an amazing idea! It really made me feel like I was helping Jade decipher it, as well. The ending! Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. After finishing The Dead and Buried, I was physically unable to move. I just kind of stared at the book. My reaction was more like: “This is a magical creation. How dare I have called this a novel?! The Dead and Buried is NOT a novel, it's art. That I will carefully bestow it back on my bookshelf, and spend a whole day writing the review.” I cannot - will not, begin to explain how much I LOVED the ending. Kayla’s killer was so unexpected! Throughout the course of the novel, I kept looking toward the suspicious kids, with obvious motives, but the actual killer wasn't even interrogated/suspected. Not even once. The Dead and Buried was a CSI marathon, all over for me.  Seriously.

I didn't like the relationship between Jade and Kane/Donovan. It felt rushed. All of a sudden Jade becomes the new Kayla? After how long?! No, just no. It wasn't believable! Both guys became so protective and possessive of her. I did happen to like Donovan more, though. He was HOT, adorable, caring, and curious - did I mention HOT?! But. But. It just wasn't enough to ignore the fact that their relationship blossomed way too quickly. The last few lines of the book say something about love, I believe? First of all, Donovan is mine and second of all, Jade hasn't even known him for a whole school year, I've known him since ... I started reading! Nuh-uh, back up lady!

In summary, The Dead and Buried was a quick, and thrilling read that made me want to sleep with a hundred teddy bears at night, and investigate the former owners of MY house. 


6 comments:

  1. i saw this on Net-galley to! I haven't gotten to read it but i think i'll have to now. You actually bought it? that good aye? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I loved reading your review of this! I am a fan of surprise endings because when you read so much it gets very hard to pull one over on us and I usually have things guessed way before hand. I am going to look more into this 'art' because I had so much fun just reading about it. Old follower :D Jaclyn @

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Your reviews are so funny! Don't you have like 15958474 boyfriends already? I like that the ending wasn't predictable either. I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! (: Same, I usually good at guessing what will happen, especially in contemporaries. This person is going to do this, they're going to become a couple, etc." LOL. Hey, Jaclyn ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. Thanks a bunch! That means a lot <3 I'm such a cornball, though. Yes, yes I do. Ahem, a few have them have taken that extra step and have become fiancees and husbands. (Loyalty is a complex concept...) Definitely do so! (:

    ReplyDelete