Friday, February 22, 2013

Review: Scarlette by Davonna Juroe


Author: Davonna Juroe 
Publisher: BumbleB Media, Inc.
Release Date: October 12th 2012
Pages: 292
Read in: 2 days

Overview

What if Little Red Riding Hood was real? 

Ninety years before the Brothers Grimm penned their version of Little Red Riding Hood, a historic, gruesome series of events shocked all of Europe. In 1765, an unidentified wolf-like animal ferociously mauled dozens of peasants in the Gévaudan region of France. 


Whispered rumors of unnatural creatures blended with age-old superstition, causing mass hysteria, and a werewolf was blamed for the carnage. Alarmed, King Louis XV sent his best huntsmen to rid the province of the beastly scourge, but this legendary massacre had only just begun. 


Scarlette, an 18-year-old peasant, lives under this dark threat, knowing the nightmarish monster lurks in the surrounding forest. A poor seamstress, she labors to make ends meet and is skeptical of supernatural gossip. 


Until her grandmother survives an attack. 


Scarlette learns her grandmother is infected by the bite of the animal. Desperate to save her, Scarlette begins to uncover the dark secrets of her village and finds there are those who wish to keep their pasts hidden. As time grows short, Scarlette is befriended by a local nobleman and a woodcutter who share an eerie history with the wolf. 


To save her grandmother, Scarlette must unravel the mens' connection and solve a long-forgotten crime. But as she pieces together the clues, Scarlette finds herself torn between the two men, both of whom desire more than friendship and together hold the key to the cure. 


Based on both the traditional Grimm and Charles Perrault versions of Little Red Riding Hood, this dark YA is set against the Beast of Gévaudan attacks, blending history with fairy tale and gothic romance. Unique to the genre, the novel revives the French fable of the girl-in-the-red-cloak with a new, shockingly real existence that blurs the line between folklore and reality.

*A free review copy was provided to me by the author*

Scarlette was an intense, thrilling, and extremely creative retelling of the fairy-tale  Little Red Riding Hood. Scratch retelling -- it was an original, twisted, nerve-wrecking, nail-biting, turn-up-your-heat-because-you're-shivering kind of novel that will forever be engraved in my mind (and Kindle.) Scarlette takes place during the 1760's in a small village in France where once happy and carefree people are now scared, paranoid, terrified, and starving because of a small HUGE problem -- the loup-garou, more commonly known as the werewolf (make that  werewolves -- plural.) Scarlette, the nineteen-year old protagonist lives with her verbally/physically abusive mother, and her sweet grandmother. She gets through everyday doing just that, getting by. This all changes on the evening her grandmother is attacked by a wolf.

I found Scarlette's  plot to be extremely compelling and ultimately ... different. There was romance and then there was action! I loved  how Juroe was able to maintain a balance between these two elements in the story. I really enjoyed the character development that went into the creation of Scarlette. She was confident, curious, feisty, yet modest. The problems she encountered in her everyday life weren't extremely dramatic, but once her grandma was attacked -- BOOM! Everything kicked into gear for her! Sure, she cried and remembered all the great times she'd had with her grandmother prior to the attack, but what really made me happy was her ability to get back up, adjust, and look for answers.

What I didn't love about Scarlette was the semi-love-triangle aspect that went down. The love triangle is formed between Scarlette, Francois, the woodcutter, and Louis, the Baron. I felt as if the love triangle was a bit forced -- if not a bit rushed.  Francois briefly states the reason for his hostility towards the Baron, but I never really felt it was justified. Louis, on the other hand, wasn't  as developed, depth-wise, as Francois.  Not to imply that I disliked both guys in the love triangle, I just felt as if I was more inclined to prefer  Scarlette single.

Scarlette was a dark, gothic retelling of the fairytale, Little Red Riding Hood, that captured my interest from the very first page right down to the end. From the plot twists to the deadly mystery, this chilling story will make you fear the things that go bump in  the night.

19 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really good book and I have not heard of it before! Thanks for the interesting review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like this one is worth checking out! Adding it to me "to-read" list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help but think of Meyer's Scarlet when I read the name of this book, you know?

    But anyway, I love the cover and I'll definitely add it to my to-read list, as I love re-tellings and I don't think I've read one of little Red Riding Hood before (haven't started Scarlet by Marissa Meyer yet, I need to re-read Cinder first :>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is beautiful! And from your review, I think it might be book I'd like. Added to my to-read list. Thanks for sharing (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it?! I love retellings, but for me, Scarlette took it to a whole other level. Thanks for stopping by Ally!

    ReplyDelete
  6. True. This came out before Meyer's Scarlet, though. I can do so much worse than that. Wanna' hear a secret? *whispers* *coughing fit* I haven't even read Cinder, yet. I have both books on my shelf, though o_O *end coughing fit*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely worth it. Thanks for stopping by Sonia! (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. You absolutely should the novel was an amazing read! Thanks Kelly! (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was the first retelling I've read about Little Red Riding Hood, ever. It definitely set the bar high, though! Thanks for stopping by Soma (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. It came out first, but the name Scarlet has been given to the second book when the first one was out. In my Cinder edition they've got the names for all four :)
    YOU HAVEN'T READ IT!? OMG, read it now! It's sooo good! (at least in my opinion)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome review, I enjoyed reading Scarlette too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks again so much, Demitra, for taking the time to review the book! I uber appreciate it! So glad it entertained you and that it set the bar high. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wait, shouldn't I be thanking you? You definitely did. Sure, don't mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi all, here every person is sharing these kinds of experience, therefore it's good to read this website, and I used to go to see this web site every day.

    My blog post: airplane games

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait! I'm happy that I managed to get a free ecopy from Amazon, because I love retellings :) The love-triangle doesn't sound great, but I'm starting to get used to them.. Sort of :p

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, this is definitely new. I love retelling-s but I have never read anything. I don't know but they never intrigue me enough. but this one definitely has some points over the other

    GREAT review, girls

    Your reader,

    Soma

    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice review! I might have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved the review. Seems like a interesting book.

    http://english-written-portairt.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete