Saturday, March 23, 2013

Review: Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Author: Miranda Kenneally
Publisher:  Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: December 1st 2011
Pages: 281
Read in: 2 days

Overview

ONE OF THE BOYS

What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university.


But everything she's ever worked for is threatened when Ty Green moves to her school. Not only is he an amazing QB, but he's also amazingly hot. And for the first time, Jordan's feeling vulnerable. Can she keep her head in the game while her heart's on the line?

Catching Jordan was a hilarious, flip-side novel about football, friendship, family, expectations and love. The novel is told from the point of view of Jordan, a teenage girl in her senior year of high school. Jordan also happens to be the quarter back on the Hundred Oaks football team. The guys on the team respect her as their captain and quarterback. Jordan's a hard worker that knows the odds are against her given than she's a female, aiming high for a scholarship on football to her dream university, The University of Alabama. This, however, is all threatened when a new guy comes to town named, Ty. He's got his eye on the ball, Jordan's position, but most of all - Jordan.

I thought Jordan's character was developed lovely! Sure, she was a tomboy for the most part, but there was some girly girl in there. The whole girl-playing-football aspect of Catching Jordan totally made me fall in love the novel even more. I loved the transition she went through when Ty came to town. She struggled with insecurities about how she looked, what she did, and how other people saw her. This was a great contrast from her previous mentality. 
That whole love triangle that went down ... no - just NO. It didn't feel right. Ty, I understood, but the whole I've-always-loved-you vibe coming from the other guy didn't sit well with me. The triangle, as a whole, felt a bit forced. Don't get wrong, I wanted things to work out for Jordan, but it seemed that every event that happened was constantly fitting together in this huge puzzle, that sort of the made Catching Jordan a bit predictable. I also noticed a chapter in the book that I believe, was supposed to be a journal entry? It looked like an attempt at poetry. I didn't find it very poetic...
Catching Jordan was a cute, funny, exhilarating, and breezy read that'll have you giggling right through the book, from the jock-like immature guy jokes, right down to the hand holding and stolen kisses.

                                                                         

13 comments:

  1. Lauren Monsey NagelMarch 24, 2013 at 12:29 AM

    Hi ladies! I found you at book blogs and I am now following you. Please follow back.

    http://ureadmorebooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't read a review for this book before, though I've seen it pop up on book blogs for a while now. I'm gonna add it to my goodreads, though. Great review. I think that, like you, I would like the fact that the book is about a girl playing football. It sounds like a fun read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book never appealed to me before but you make it sound pretty good =) I'm loving your blog, I really like how you format your reviews.

    New follower =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thx for stopping by at http://unaeve.blogspot.com

    Following you back now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Lauren! Thanks for the follow. We've followed you back (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, same. I've actually been really excited to read books by Kenneally. It was okay, not as good as the book hype implied it would be, though. Thanks, Nancy! (: Originality, score one! Woohoo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, thanks! Glad I could help. Thanks again <3 *blushes* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marissa &amp; JasmineMarch 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM

    I have become a recent fan of this author! I read this one and I enjoyed it but it didn't blow me away. I have the second one and plan on reading soon! Awesome review! Your blog is adorable and I like the way you write reviews :)
    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this sounds so good ^~^ Thanks for the update ^~^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really? Yeah, I've seen a lot of fan-girlign going on about her Kenneally.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really? I've actually seen a lot of fan-girling going on over Kenneally. Apparently her new book, Racing Savannah's cover recently came out? Thanks Jasmine (: Haha, thanks <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. No problem. Glad we could help (:

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, you've got yourself a new follower c:
    -Ali, From Bows to Books

    ReplyDelete