Sunday, April 14, 2013

[Review]: Moonglass by Jessi Kirby

Author: Jessi Kirby
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Release Date: May 3rd 2011
Pages: 232
Read in: 2 days

Overview
Anna’s life is upended when her father accepts a job transfer the summer before her junior year. It’s bad enough that she has to leave her friends behind, but her dad is moving them to the beach where her parents first met and fell in love—a place awash in memories that Anna would just as soon leave under the surface.
While life on the beach is pretty great, with ocean views and one adorable lifeguard in particular, there are also family secrets that were buried years ago. And the ebb and flow of the ocean’s tide means that nothing—not the sea glass that collects along the shore, and not the truths behind Anna’s mother’s death—stays buried forever.

Moonglass was one of those short, breezy, side-reads that you've promised yourself you were going to get to, but have never really found the time for.
Moonglass is centered around a girl named Anna, who moves from Pismo Beach "all the way" to the beaches of Crystal Cove. When I say move, I'm not referring to the fact that she lives in a beach-side house, I mean, this girl practically lives on the beach. She spends all her time in a bikini watching the water, surfing the waves, and most importantly looking for sea glass. What she subconsciously refuses to realize, is that her infatuation with the sea has to do with her mother, and the way she died. Growing up, she finally starts to grasp the events that took place the day her mother died, but choosing the easy way out, she chooses to push it off, and lie about it until she meets her new friends in Crystal Cove. A cute, sweet, caring yet somewhat oblivious Tyler, and a talkative, hyper bundle-of-joy best-friend named Ashley.
These two characters and the promise of a fresh start will force her to make a decision between avoiding her past, or facing it and using it to help propel her further into her future.

Going into the book, I knew I was going to love it! Kirby develops her plot and characters in a way that every scene, sentence, and memory written is all interconnected, forming this huge knot, that is loosened as the novel progresses. I really loved the protagonist, Anna, she was timid, yet confident, open-minded, compassionate and all in all, a great focus for Moonglass. I really loved the love-interest Tyler, he was adorable and their relationship was easy-going. He didn't have a lot of baggage, which I was iffy about, because we don't really get a back story on him. Nonetheless, he proved to be a relatable, and perfect match for Anna. What I must MUST note, is the pace in which their relationship was set. It was also perfect. It wasn't two days of making out then an "I love you", it was some easy conversations, easy flirting, stolen kisses, AND then a make out (or two four). 

I didn't really love the pace of the book, it was a bit slow, and I felt as if some scenes held no significance to the story-line Kirby was going for. I also wasn't a fan of the lack of back story that some of the characters were introduced with. It made me feel as if they were only "alive" and present for the sole purpose that Anna had someone to talk to.
To sum it all up, Moonglass was a short, adorable, yet some-what intense read. That I wasn't expecting to enjoy much. Somehow, between the relationships, and the long-due revelations, I grew to love Moonglass. You should definitely check this one out! (:

                                                                      (3.5 stars)

Link up with the author!
 Jessi Kirby is the author of MoonglassIn Honor, and the forthcoming Goldenwhich will be released in May of 2013.  She is also a former English teacher and librarian, wife, mom, beach lover, runner, and lover of Contemporary YA, strong coffee, and dark chocolate.  In that order.

6 comments:

  1. Great review. Love the balance of what you liked and didn't. I can see how lack of a back story might be annoying with Tyler. I'm fascinated by sea glass, so that part of the story is appealing, as well as the truth about her mom's death rising to the surface. I might have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! I read this one a few years ago, I didn't like it as much as you but it was still an enjoyable read =) I'm bummed they remade the cover though, the old one was all blue and soo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Admiring the commitment you put into your blog and detailed information you offer.
    It's nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same out of date rehashed material.
    Great read! I've bookmarked your site and I'm adding your RSS
    feeds to my Google account.

    Feel free to surf to my web blog: resting metabolic rate calculator

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi colleаgues, its great piece of wrіting regarding culturеand entiгelу defined, keep it up аll
    the tіme.

    My web-sіte :: augen lasern

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've actually wanted this book for a while, but have been unable to remember that I wanted it. Ooh! I wanted the other cover, too <3 But, since the new cover was out I could barely find any new copies with the old cover :( Thanks for stooping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly! If some random, perfect, hot, muscular, Mr.Dreamy pops out of know where - I want to know who he is. Where He sleeps. What he ate last Friday night. etc. LOL. Yeah, I loved the sea glass aspect, too!

    ReplyDelete