Saturday, June 22, 2013

[Bookish Issues]: The Ever-Growing To-Read List

Haven't done one of these posts in a while. I'm back in the blogging game officially, though. Oh, boy. Hope I don't offend anyone...

Wrote this post late at night. Correcting grammatical errors as I go, as well as any obvious deliria. 

There's a book-related dilemma that pretty much every book blogger, or "obsessive" reader has come into contact with - at least once. This dilemma? The ever-growing to-read list. 

Yeah, that's right, I'm calling you  out - anyone who "plans to read" more books than 10 times the amount of books they've read up to date. Since I'm especially guilty, I'll reveal the stats I  have on Goodreads. 

93 books (Read) - A complete lie. Due to the fact that I almost always  forget to post my reviews for novels (until recently).
838 books (To-read) - It's a bit sad, isn't it?



I CAN FEEL YOU JUDGING ME, but:


For those of you unfamiliar with this common problem. I shall explain the process, a bibliophile's mind goes through. 

1 | bibliophile sees book on Goodreads.

How the person came across the book:
  •  Another friend added it -  (9%)
  •  Someone recommended it (Confession? I pretty much ignore ALL of my recommendations.) - (2%)
  •  Rafflecopter Giveaway said so - (17%)
  •  Read a review on it / Blog Tour - (1%) - (Because who reads reviews when they can leave a meaningless comment like: "Added to my TBR-list. Great review! New follower. [Insert link to their book blog]." And copy & paste like there's no tomorrow.)
  •  BOOK HYPE. - (32%)
  •  The book came to you ... - (39%)
Nonetheless, you arrive at the book page and your eyes pull a move like so:

(Notice how the description has not been expanded.) WHAT DOES THE BIBLIOPHILE DO NEXT?! Oh, gosh. I feel like Dora.
You're freaking ecstatic. 
 BUT, you don't want to judge the book by its cover (something you've already done)  ... so you read the summary. *Rolls eyes* Pretty decent. 


2 | Bibliophile adds book to their to-read list.

BEHOLD - the enemy.
Does anyone wonder why that button doesn't say "Finished Reading"? The book has been added to your to-read list. Then for the slightest moment you let yourself think about the other books you still have NOT read yet, or the amount of books already  on your to-read list. And you're just like:

WHERE DO I START?

3 | Bibliophile never reads book. 

OR, says they'll get to it soon ... they never do. I blame half of this on Goodreads since their purchase links NEVER work and it's so much work to open a new tab and go to a retailer's site. I'm sorry, but get it together, man!

 It's a cycle, guys! You know why?! Because the books they call to us:

When we're sad:

When we're lonely: 

When people think we need social lives:

Before, I end this post I'm going to add some side notes. 

4| Side Notes. 

I'M COMING CLEAN ABOUT EVERYTHING ... I REMEMBER                                                                                                       

    The Purchase Links 
Alrighty. I don't know if any of you guys have noticed this small bar on Goodreads? Looks like this:
Something most people don't notice is that the ONLY link that work is Amazon's. (Pause. I know that most of you reading this post are going to go confirm that.) I mean, SERIOUSLY. 
Amazon is everywhere. I think it's a conspiracy. Although, my sanity is very much questionable at this point. So, who cares what I think.

     Rating the Book

The book clearly doesn't come out for another year. Unless you're the agent, an editor, or related to the author. Then you do NOT have a copy. I have ARCs. I get it. I really do. BUT NEVER EVER have I heard of a person getting an ARC that  early on. SO, WHY THEN ARE PEOPLE RATING THE BOOK IF THEY HAVE NOT READ IT? I don't know. I'm confused. Can someone explain that to me? It just blows my mind when people do that. I don't care if every word that the author publishes is written in gold - Please DO NOT rate a book if you haven't read it. If you didn't finish it, that's a different story.

   Comparisons
Have you guys seen book summaries like this:

Comparing the novel to another amazing series that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the novel. Is this a  marketing strategy? Frankly, I think it's misleading and annoying. If I loved a certain novel, and a considerable amount of people loved it as well, don't take that for granted and lie to us! ESPECIALLY if the book you're trying to sell, simply put, SUCKS.

  ★ The Not-In-Your-Lifetime-Release-Date
Did you ever add the book to your to-read list, and then check the release date? And the publisher pulls a stunt like this:

And you can't function. It's like the publishers almost ... expect you to go on with your life? It's preposterous, that's what it is. I'm not going to go into depth with this one since I had a separate rant, way back when - here.


 I'm so sorry if I offended anyone. I ranted, I stated my opinion; but my opinion is just that, MY OPINION. No one should ever take me seriously, I'm not exactly ... mentally stable. 

If you're going to comment on how every point I made is invalid -- LEAVE. If you disagree with me, please let me know! Tell me why. I love  feedback. :D But, if you're just here to rain on my pretty amazing parade? Exit this tab, immediately.

6 comments:

  1. BAHAHAHA! I'm guilty as charged! *raises both hands*

    - Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I recognize a lot of myself in this post. I have WAY to many 'to-read' books, but I've stopped feeling guilty about it. What can I say: I'm a booklover, bookcollector and everything about books makes me happy and feel passionate. So yes, I buy more and add more books than I can read in a life time, but it makes me extremely happy :D It's a healthy addiction.


    It does pain me when I see some publication dates. HOW CAN YOU DO THAT TO ME? Is all I can think about when I see 'publication 2015'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pink Lady 631 @ A Sunny SpotJune 23, 2013 at 1:51 PM

    OH MY LORD ANASTASIA YOU ARE HILARIOUS. I LOVE THIS BLOG NOT ONLY BECAUSE OF THE AMAZING DESIGN (WHICH I AM SO JEALOUS OF) BUT BECAUSE EVERY TIME I READ ONE OF YOUR POSTS I FIND A NEW FAVOURITE GIF AND I LAUGH SO HARD WHEN READING YOUR AWESOME RANTS! YOU PUT IT LIKE A TRUE FANGIRL, I COMPLETLEY AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAID!

    (So I couldn't write this comment without putting it in capitals because I love this blog so much)

    PS. Who designed your blog, I need some Social Media Icons like that.

    - Sunny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! darn it. I tried to post here like 10 times already. My inspiration ran dry. I'm just going to say that I refuse to have more than 100 books on my to-read list! If too long has passed and I haven't tried to read the book, I delete it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wahaha, this post is hillarious! But I couldn't agree more with you! My TBR is literally an ever-growing mountain, and what i read from it was probably, eh, 2 out of 10.
    It's just like, the cover is pretty! *add* The summary is kinda okay. *add* Ha, I'm breathing. *add book* And then we see, BAM, an unrecognizable pile of new books on TBR. :'(

    Butanyway, nice post! This one is too true :D
    And oh my God, that Severus Snape gif is just... 0.0 speechless!

    Oh, and I looove your layout! Especially the watercolor painting! It's really lovely :) you do it yourself? :D

    Neysa @ [B.O.O.K.L.I.F.E]

    ReplyDelete
  6. A book blogging friend of mine is to the point that some publishers are sending her manuscripts, so she is frequently reading a year in advance, just so you know ;-). Also Independent Study doesn't come out until January 2014 and is on Edelweiss, which makes me wonder why they don't just move up the publication date if it's already so close to being done, haha.

    ReplyDelete