Sunday, June 16, 2013

[Review]: Stung by Bethany Wiggins

Author: Bethany Wiggins
Publisher:  Walker Childrens
Release Date: April 2nd 2013
Pages: 291
Read in: 2 days


There is no cure for being stung.

Fiona doesn’t remember going to sleep. But when she opens her eyes, she discovers her entire world has been altered—her house is abandoned and broken, and the entire neighborhood is barren and dead. Even stranger is the tattoo on her right hand—a black oval with five marks on either side—that she doesn’t remember getting but somehow knows she must cover at any cost. She’s right.

Those bearing the tattoo have turned into mindless, violent beasts that roam the streets and sewers, preying upon the unbranded while a select few live protected inside a fortress-like wall, their lives devoted to rebuilding society and killing all who bear the mark.

Now Fiona has awakened branded, alone—and on the wrong side of the wall.
* A free print copy was provided by the publisher, in exchange for an honest review* 


Stung  was the kind of novel that keeps bibliophiles awake at night, fighting the drowsiness with everything they've got just so they can read the last word, on the last page of one of the most outstanding reads they'll have in a long time.

Stung  revolves around a girl named Fiona who lives in a world divided by a wall. One side is of peace, oblivion, and fear, while the other side is built upon that fear, desperation, and the desire to be on the other side of the wall. The real difference between these two divisions is not what the people feel, but what they are. On one side humans live, and on the other humans struggle to survive alongside the beasts that were exiled there after the epidemic that broke out. This epidemic began because of a vaccine that was created for a deadly flu outbreak. A vaccine that ended up turning almost the entirety of the adolescent youth into beasts. These beasts are then marked, and hunted accordingly. Only one problem. Fiona's been marked, and she's fully human. There's something special about Fiona, and to find out why, she'll have to remember how she ended up on the wrong side of the wall, why the man she's being held captive by looks so familiar, and why the hell everyone on her side of the wall is after her.


I fell in love with Stung's refreshing, new storyline - one that no doubt set it apart from any dystopian novel I've ever read. The character development and the relationships that sparked between each of them were so expertly developed I felt that if I finished the novel, I'd lose someone that I knew. I really enjoyed the fact that Wiggins was able to get across the passion both Fiona and Bowen had (the familiar man holding her captive) to survive. I thought it worked well in adding to their desperation.
There were a couple of low points in the novel that made this a 4 star instead of a 5. The main  point was the memory loss. I always have a problem with novels that involve the loss of memory by any one of the characters. I feel like it's a way to drag the story out way longer than it needs to be. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing how the characters get past that memory barrier; however with Fiona it just wasn't as exciting. One minute something looks familiar, next thing you now, she remembers something. It just wasn't realistic. (Whenever she remembered something it always seemed to be at the most inconvenient of times.) 
All in all, Stung  took the dystopia genre to a whole new level. With a few injections of sci-fi, and a dose of mystery, Stung  will be the perfect cure for any reader in need of an exhilarating, and dynamic new thriller to read.

                      Website / Facebook  / Twitter / Goodreads
Bethany Wiggins has always been an avid reader, but not an avid student. Seriously! She failed ninth grade English because she read novels instead of doing her homework. In high school, she sat alone at lunch and read massive hardback fantasy novels (Tad Williams and Robert Jordan anyone?). It wasn't until the end of her senior year that the other students realized she was reading fiction--not the Bible

Once upon a time, Bethany's sister dared her to start writing an hour a day until she completed a novel. Bethany wrote a seven-hundred page fantasy novel that she wisely let no one read--but it taught her how to write. Since then she has penned SHIFTING (2011), STUNG (2013), and CURED (2014). 

7 comments:

  1. I love your review. They're always so funny. I really like dystopia. I actually just recently started getting into it so I'm actually kind of excited for this one. The cover is beautiful, and the story line sounds pretty cool. Great review! I added it to my TBR-list!!

    * Becky
    ~Old Follower

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly Matherly-UrbanJune 17, 2013 at 3:59 PM

    I love this cover. Glad to hear you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, thanks Becky! Yeah, I've been obsessed with dystopia since I figured out what it was. You should definitely make this a must-read if you're into dystopia. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a good book! I hate it when the author drags it out too much though- it ruins the book for me. Great review!

    BTW- I LOVE YOUR NEW LOOK!

    - Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the concept of the vaccine causing the problems in the first place -- it was new. LOL, I feel the same exact way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I really loved it. I feel that the story begins to slowly lose its potential when it drags out. Thanks!! I LOVE YOUR NEW LOOK. Hello, your blog is gorgeous. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of this one! It sounds really unique, and quite intriguing. I'm with you on the memory loss, it's SO overdone and most of the time serves the purpose of nothing but frustrating me, hahah!

    ReplyDelete