Thursday, June 13, 2013

[Review]: Vengeance Bound by Justina Ireland

Author: Justina Ireland
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Release Date: April 2nd 2013
Pages: 320
Read in: 2 weeks





Cory Graff is not alone in her head. Bound to a deal of desperation made when she was a child, Cory’s mind houses the Furies—the hawk and the serpent—lingering always, waiting for her to satisfy their bloodlust. After escaping the asylum where she was trapped for years, Cory knows how to keep the Furies quiet. By day, she lives a normal life, but by night, she tracks down targets the Furies send her way. And she brings down Justice upon them.

Cory’s perfected her system of survival, but when she meets a mysterious boy named Niko at her new school, she can’t figure out how she feels about him. For the first time, the Furies are quiet in her head around a guy. But does this mean that Cory’s finally found someone who she can trust, or are there greater factors at work? As Cory’s mind becomes a battlefield, with the Furies fighting for control, Cory will have to put everything on the line to hold on to what she’s worked so hard to build.


There wasn't a lot of hype about Vengeance Bound, but there were enough outstanding reviews for me to establish high expectations for the novel (before I even read it). Unfortunately, not only did Vengeance Bound not live up to my expectations, but I found the overall concept of the book to be bland with little to no potential in regards to the story line. I actually won an ARC of Vengeance Bound from a giveaway hop a while back. I eventually decided that I would begin to attack my ever-growing to-read list with Vengeance Bound being my first read - NOT the best idea I've ever had.

The overview, pretty much sums up the book - vague. I found myself extremely confused with the whole Furies concept. To cut it short, the Furies are voices in Cory's head that reign down with judgement on humans who've basically committed any wrong doing in their lives. (Stems from Greek Mythology). It began with major offenses done by men, and later became minor offenses (like sneezing and not covering your mouth. Although, I think that's right up there with 1st degree murder.) What irked me to the point where I almost did not finish the book was the author's use of "They", "It", and "Them." It made the Furies' appearance much more dramatic than it needed to be. In my opinion, the Furies and Cory, the main character, were not a creative focus. If I'm being 100% honest with my self here, I would have to say that I didn't find Vengeance Bound to be even the slightest bit interesting. I have a habit, where I finish every book I start (even if I find the plot dreadful); this habit kicked in for Vengeance Bound. The relationship between Cory and Niko, is intensified and exaggerated. It was insta-love -- forced, predictable, and irritatingly cliche. 

I broke the format I usually followed. 'What I Liked', 'What I Didn't Like', 'To-Read?'. This was probably due to the fact, that my comments for all three sections are minimal. I'll answer these three sections as questions instead. What I liked? Not much. The cover was cool... What I Didn't Like? Mostly Everything. To-read? Uh, no.  I don't think you should. Ever.

                      Website / Tumblr / Twitter / Goodreads
I apologize for the small picture. But, I gave up on the annoying format of this post.

8 comments:

  1. Oh man, that's a total bummer that this one didn't do it for you. After reading your review I think I'll stay away from it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I noticed some of my favorite bloggers didn't like this one too much, either. I guess I just wanted to form my own opinion on it. You definitely should not read Vengeance Bound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, Books and SensibilityJune 13, 2013 at 7:34 PM

    I'm not familiar with this book either, but there is something about Greek Mythology based stories that usually ends up in disappointment. Hopefully you will like your next pick better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same exact way. Either the retelling has nothing to do with the myth, or the retelling is too bizarre for me to handle. Thanks, I hope so too (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I started reading this one last week and I couldn't finish it so I just decided to DNF it. I thought the beginning was pretty cool, but then it was the same thing over and over and over again. I got really bored.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was sent this book by another reviewer, she didn't like it too much either. I really like the cover and idea but I'm kinda scared to start reading, it seems like everyone hasn't liked it :/ I'll probably still try it. Despite instalove (blegh). I know what you mean about finishing a book after I've started it, I'm like that :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could have DNFd it. I just always have to finish whatever I read (Habit.), which explains the low rating. I just began to find it unbearable after a while. Exactly! Every single time she killed the men the same way. "Judgment has been passed on you!" Tat was annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I won it from a giveaway :) I love the cover <3 But this ended up being one of those books for me with a pretty face, and a dense plot. Try it! definitely, you deserve to form your own opinion on it. I hate insta-love, so we're on the same page. You are most welcome!

    ReplyDelete