Sunday, December 7, 2014

[Review]: We Were Liars by E. Lockehart


We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
Published on May 13, 2014 by Delacorte Press

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.
✍✍✍
Have you ever read a novel and have it mess with your brain so much that you just need to take a couple of days off from reading to give your mind some time to rewire? If you haven't, then you need to read We Were Liars.

We Were Liars is the tragic story of Cadence Sinclair, and how everything that came to be would eventually cease to exist. One night, Cadence disappears into the sea and suffers trauma to the head which eventually leads to the amnesia she's later diagnosed with. She is unable to remember how she got to the sea, what happened that night, and why everyone around her is refusing to help her find the pieces of the puzzle that she's missing. Cadence was initially portrayed in the novel as a self-entitled brat, but when her family and friends around her force her to find out what happened that night on her own  her character development goes on a wild ride. It's the first time Cadence hasn't had something handed directly to her on a silver platter, or fed to her with a silver spoon. It was intriguing to see how she handled this change of events. Rather than give up and call it day, she had to use the resources she had  what was left of her memory and her familiar surroundings  to do what she didn't think she could do on her own. Remember.

We Were Liars had some contemporary, psychological suspense, and romance vibes flowing throughout its plot. I liked that Lockehart was able to make the novel extremely versatile in this aspect. There was a steady balance between the three, that didn't make the relationship between Gat and Cadence too mushy, or the suspense portion too overwhelming or unrealistic. 

What I loved most about We Were Liars was that the reader was able to play a part in the confusion of Cadence as she advanced in her search for what occurred that night. Eventually we both sort of find out what happened that night (at the same time.) And I will say, surprisingly, I didn't mind this. I really loved that the duration of this "mystery", didn't seem to drag on, there was always something filling the space. Whether it was a new development in the relationship between Gat and Cadence, a new memory Cadence had remembered, finding a piece of the puzzle that didn't quite match up with the rest of the stories her family and friends were telling her, or growing closer to the family and crawling out of the shell Cadence had kind of forced herself into since she was diagnosed with amnesia.

All in all, We Were Liars definitely hit the top as one of my fave five for the year. I read it as an e-book, but I had to order it as a paperback as soon as I finished because I knew I had to have this exquisite beauty on my shelf. Everyone should. I've pretty much gushed about We Were Liars for the entirety of this review, but there's a reason for it. I swear. If you haven't gotten around to this one this year, I strongly recommend you drop whatever it is that you're reading and acquaint yourself with this wonderful piece of writing.

My full name is Cadence Sinclair Eastman.
I suffer migraines. I do not suffer fools.
I like a twist of meaning.
I endure.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars



Similar to:




4 comments:

  1. I've heard some really great things about this one. I still need to give it a try. Your review really made me want to move it up on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madiha @ Symphony of WordsDecember 10, 2014 at 7:19 AM

    I agree, it was just so beautiful and powerful. I loved how the tiny bits and pieces of the revelation were scattered throughout the entire book but I couldn't piece it together until the animals :'(


    Great, riveting plot, some badass characters, and honestly, a tragically beautiful romance. Great review, Matilda! Thanks for stopping by Symphony of Words :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually don't think I've seen a review given to We Were Liars that was below 3 stars, so I was really psyched when I first bought it. I'm glad I could help! It's a read you'll definitely enjoy.


    Thanks for stopping by Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't piece it together until the dog was mentioned, either. I knew something weird was going on though, because things weren't adding up. I couldn't agree more.


    Thanks for stopping by Madiha!

    ReplyDelete